Get Fast Facts from Advocates for Youth
Quick Facts About Reproductive and Sexual Health
- 19 million new every year
- Young people ages 15-24 account for “almost half”
o CDC 2010 STD surveillance
Teen Pregnancy and Birth
- By the age of 19, 70 percent of young people have had sex.
o Guttmacher , “Facts on Amer. Teens Repro Health”
- 46 percent of all high school students (grades 9-12) have ever had sex; 62 percent of high school seniors report ever having had sex.
o Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance 2009
- In 2006–2010, about 43% of never-married female teenagers (4.4 million), and about 42% of never-married male teenagers (4.5 million) had had sexual intercourse at least once – a total of nearly 9 million teens who have already had sex.
o NSFG Analysis, 2010
Bullying and Harassment
- 48 % of students have been sexually harassed
o AAUW report, 2010
- 32% of all students have been bullied at school; 11% physically bullied
o Dept of Ed report, 2010
- 85% of LGBT students have been bullied at school, 28% physically
o GLSEN Climate Report 2009
With questions or comments, contact:
Director of Public Information Services
Advocates for Youth